Monday, February 25, 2008

I'm the queen of negative splits and procrastination

Ok, I have been majorly slacking off on my running blogging and I'm sorry for the serious lack of action lately...midterms and papers have been completely bogging me down for the past week. But thankfully midterms are over (hallelujah) and spring break is just a day away (!) so I'll have more time to dedicate to procrastinating and writing (as opposed to studying and homeworking like a good student).

To be honest, I don't even remember the past few days. It all just feels like one big blur of studying and testing! My running has been extremely off as well; the runs that I did do were pretty good (As the title of this post says, I am the queen of negative splits: all of my runs have been much faster in the second half) but I've had to throw in some extra rest days due to the fact that I have not been stretching/yogaing as much as I should and I'm starting to feel the consequences of that. Note to self: Must. do. yoga.

Today is one of those aforementioned rest days. I was planning on doing a 7 or 8 miler this morning but that plan immeadiately got sidetracked when I got out of bed and felt a horrible twinge in my knee. I've been feeling it (and ignoring it) since the end of last week but I finally decided that it would be stupid to do a long run on a twinge-y knee...especially with the start of half marathon training in a little over a week. I always manage to get injured right before training starts and I don't want that to happen again this year (I was sidelined for almost 2 months last spring!).

I may ride on a spinning bike tonight if I'm feeling extremely antsy because tomorrow is my planned rest day, but I'm going to try my best to just stretch, do some yoga, and let my body heal. I'm hoping that the rest I'm doing this week will allow me to have some great runs next week when I'm in CT with plenty of running routes and free time. Plus I have a 5k race on Sunday!

But enough of the rambling and ranting...

Monday: 5.5 mile treadmill run - 45.20 minutes

Wednesday: 5.5 mile treadmill run - 45.30 minutes

5 comments:

jpetroroy said...

I'm planning on running my first half marathon at the end of May. I just did my latest long run on Monday (7.5 miles). Any tips on training plans/building mileage? Thanks for any help. I love your blog. :)
-Jen

Ellie said...

Hi Jen!

If you're already doing long runs of 7.5 I definitely think that you have a pretty rock solid base. I'd just say to keep working on the endurance...it sounds like you're doing a great job though

This article from Runner's World might also be helpful. I found it to be at least...
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12431-2-1-2,00.html

jpetroroy said...

The link didn't work. Would you mind reposting? :)

Ellie said...

Sure thing...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12431-2-1-2,00.html

Hopefully this works :)

Patricio said...

What happened to the knee?
Hope it heals soon so u can get back on track... or road? :)
Good luck on the 5K!
PC