Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A good treadmill run?

I decided to run on the treadmill after reading Patricio's comment about indoor tracks not being so wonderful for knees. In my mind I knew that, but during yesterday's run my left knee was feeling a bit tweaky...so I just put two and two together and decided to give the treadmill a go just for a break from running in circles.

And, let me say...I had an a.m.a.z.i.n.g run. I started out with a 10 minute warm-up at a 9:30ish minute/mile pace. Then I kept ramping up the speed every 5 minutes to get in a "tempo run" and to break some of the monotony. By the end of the run I was doing a 6:40 minute/mile pace. Granted, it was only for a couple of minutes but I'm still extremely proud of myself.

Altogether I did 6.3 miles in 50 minutes (which evens out to be approximately a 7:56 minute/mile pace...but I know that's not what my actual pace was because of my constant changing of speed and my slow start).

I was amazed at how quickly those 50 minutes went by. 30 minutes is typically my cut-off (although I once did a 12 mile run on a treadmill because of a snow storm...not something I'd recommend). Usually treadmill runs drag on and make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon but it wasn't really all that bad.

Monday: 45 minute run (indoor track)
Tuesday: 50 minute tempo run (treadmill)

1 comment:

Patricio said...

Great job on the run! that's an awesome pace!
I hate the treadmill but like you whenit's miserably outside I gotta do it... my friend and I call it the DREADmill :)
PC