Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Spinning my wheels

I hate to admit this, but spinning classes are really growing on me. Growing up, my dad was always a huge cycling fanatic and I had access to his trainer in the winter. But there's something so completely satisfying about pushing through and finishing a workout that makes your lungs burn and your legs feel like they might rip off.

I'd definitely say that spinning is cycling's equivalent of track work: painful yet fulfilling

Monday: 1 hr. spin class

I decided against the spin/yoga class simply because I wanted to feel the full intensity of a 1 hour cycling class. And boy did I feel it. The instructor focused a lot on "climbs" and sprints, often in succession for optimal muscle burn. About halfway through the class I was cursing myself for thinking it would be a good idea to take a full spin class. At the end of the class, however, I felt jello-y and on top of the world. I may be addicted.

Tuesday: 1 hr. yoga/45 minute run

When my alarm clock went off at 6:20 this morning I was tempted to skip yoga and climb back into bed for another hour. And while yoga at 7:00 in the morning just wasn't all that enjoyable for me today (I think it was more of an instructor preference, honestly), my run was great. I started off with stiff legs and the intention of having an easy 45-minuter. The first 35 minutes were just that; easy. But then an ROTC kid decided that he wanted to pass me and I decided that I didn't want to let him pass me without a fight. I'm not usually an extremely competetive runner but I hate being passed. I managed to hold him off for 8 minutes before he finally passed me. To my satisfaction he did stop to walk about a minute after passing me while I was able to keep up a fairly speedy pace. Vive la endurance.

No comments: