Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back from the dead

I've been reluctant to post here lately because I have been feeling a bit down about not being able to run. I know that I should be glad that I'm giving my body the time to rest and heal, but lately even things like walking down stairs have started to cause a knee pain flare so I've stopped all "athletic activity" for the week (i.e. no swimming and cycling for me this week). Deciding to take a nearly complete rest week was difficult but I want my knee to heal as soon as possible and this seems like the best possible way to do that.

With that said, I have started to do yoga again. Some poses start to make my knee feel a little iffy but as long as I don't put any unnecessary pressure on it, everything is fine and dandy. Plus poses like warrior will help get my leg strength back up.

My first "back to yoga" class was yesterday. Before that I hadn't taken yoga since January. I used to be in a fabulous habit of taking at least 3 yoga classes a week but I (obviously) fell out of that habit. But I need to get back into it; my muscles were screaming tightness yesterday. Even sitting in lotus pose made my hip flexors cry. That is not good. At all. It's amazing what muscles aren't reached during plain 'ole stretching...(and it's amazing what muscles yoga works. I admit that my arms are a bit sore today).

I'm hoping the combination of yoga and rest will provide my body the basis for good healing. We'll see.

3 comments:

Mnowac said...

ahhh i miss yoga. I need to figure out a way to incorporate it back into my routine!

Right Brain Runner said...

Good to see other running blogs...and read about training challenges....I also love distance running, and I used to live in Virginia, the Shenandoah Valley area. Check out MY blog: rightbrainrunner
Good luck with the recovery.

Patricio said...

Ouch... sounds like the knee is hurting. So, what's the treatment, other than resting?
Yoga should help, how bout some weight training? upper body, focusing on core?
Don't get discourage... it'll get better!
P