Wednesday, June 11, 2008

When running attacks

After yesterday's post about how wonderful it is to see how much your body can handle, I had quite the rude awakening. This morning, my morning off, I decided to not set my alarm and wake up naturally because the forecast was predicting a high of 86 for today and (comparably) that's pretty comfy.

I woke up at 8:30 and was out the door running by 9. Everything went well until I actually started running; I hit a brick wall only a few minutes into my run and was never able to regain any comfort.

On the surface, I blame the horrible (and very, very abbreviated: only 1.7 miles) run on my forgetfullness. I usually grab half a banana before a 4-5 mile run and, because I was so worried about sunscreen, eating a snack completely flew out of my mind.

But I think the cause of the suckiness is actually deeper. My eating habits have been terrible lately; either I eat way too much junk or not enough healthy...I have no clue what happened to my happy medium, but I'm guessing the balance disappeared when I had to stop running regularly and I have yet to gain it back since I don't really have a firm running schedule in place yet. Dehydration also takes some of the blame because there is no way I could get cramps as bad as I did just because I forgot to eat half a banana...no way in heck.

So, I learned my lesson. In a runner's world, food and drink are excruciatingly important, especially when the summer weather hits. Things could have been much worse, but thankfully I pushed aside my ego and stopped.

No comments: